The Advanced Course in Strategic Intercession and Spiritual Warfare is a one-year course intended to equip intercessors and prayer warriors with a foundational understanding of strategic intercession along with the ability to use the strategies and tactics of spiritual warfare, as directed by the Holy Spirit, to overcome the strongholds of the enemy that seek to block the advancement of God’s Kingdom.
As the world is on the verge of a great outpouring of the Holy Spirit and what could be catastrophic demonic counterattacks blocking the move of God, Christians must be equipped for the work of strategic-level intercession and spiritual warfare.
This level of engagement moves beyond personal ministry, that of healing, deliverance, evangelism, and discipleship, to the more corporate level, which focuses on the global moves of the Holy Spirit and Satan’s counter moves seeking to block God’s redemptive plans.
Prayer is the vanguard of outpourings of the Holy Spirit, which advance God’s Kingdom. This includes praying to remove those blockages to the Gospel that Satan has established through strongholds.
Biblical Models of Strategic Intercession
The Biblical model of this type of strategic intercession and spiritual warfare is seen in the prayers of Daniel. As Daniel engages in intercession, we find he is involved in the extraordinary dynamic of praying in the fulfillment of Jeremiah’s prophecy. The fulfillment of this prophecy that the exiles would return to rebuild their devastated land and temple included God working through angels and Cyrus.
A New Testament example of strategic intercession and spiritual warfare can be found in Acts 4:23-31. Gospel advancement was met with human and demonic opposition through the religious and political structures. Peter and John led the followers of Jesus in prayer, and God answered through an outpouring of the Holy Spirit, resulting in signs and wonders. In addition, the obstacles were removed, and the Gospel advanced.
Contemporary Examples of Strategic Intercession
Rees Howells, during World War II, is a recent example of this type of intercession. Rees led the intercessors at the Bible College of Wales in praying to remove the dictators—Adolph Hitler and Mussolini, through whom Satan was working to destroy the Jewish people and block the Gospel of Jesus Christ from going to the ends of the Earth.
This new Advanced Course in Strategic Intercession and Spiritual Warfare will equip intercessors and prayer warriors to deal with these corporate strongholds. This strategic intercession is crucial for advancing the Kingdom of God and fulfilling the Great Commission. As we begin to see the extraordinary fulfillment of biblical prophecies of the end times and look in expectation for the return of Jesus Christ in glory, there is a growing sense of urgency for the task of intercession for Kingdom advancement.
Primary Purpose of this Strategic Intercession and Spiritual Warfare Course
The primary purpose of this new course is to prepare a group of “Rees Howells-type” intercessory prayer warriors who can be the vanguard of praying in the Next Great Awakening in cooperation with the Holy Spirit. This includes defeating Satan’s plans to hinder, divert or destroy these moves of God and to fulfill God the Father’s plans for world evangelization and the global advancement of the Kingdom of God.
In addition, this course will provide the prayer, fellowship, and communication networks needed by those called to participate in strategic intercession led and empowered by the Holy Spirit.
The Learning Goals for the Participants
There are several learning goals that will help to shape the nature and content of this course.
1. To gain a Biblical and reformed theological foundation for intercession and spiritual warfare that shapes history according to God’s Kingdom vision and objectives.
2. To master the six paradigms of God’s sovereignty.
God’s Sovereignty over Earth
Paradigm #1 Jesus Christ is King over all Things
Paradigm #2 The Holy Destiny of Israel and the Nations
Paradigm #3 Abraham Kuyper’s different Spheres of God’s Authority
How God’s sovereignty is expressed through intercessors and prayer warriors.
Paradigm #4 Prophecy is God’s Invitation to Create His Reality
Paradigm #5 The Moses role of intercession and the Joshua role as the means through whom God answers prayer
Paradigm #6 Our Place of Intercession, in which God anoints us for prayer that shapes history according to His Kingdom.
3. To master the strategies and tactics of intercession that promote corporate-level advancement of the Gospel and the constraint and overcoming of Satan’s evil expressed through strongholds.
4. To grow in understanding how to express the authority that Jesus Christ has given us over “all the power of the enemy” (Luke 10:19 TLV). This includes all battle spaces and high-level demonic powers.
5. To equip leaders who can form prayer cohorts in their local congregations and in their areas for doing the work of prayer that advances the Gospel of Jesus Christ in their area.
6. To prepare intercessors and prayer warriors for when they may be called to advance the body of Messiah (Christ) locally and globally as Jesus Christ anoints them.
7. For intercessors and prayer warriors to be able to take part in cooperating with the Holy Spirit in advancing the Kingdom of God in the local, national, and global, geopolitical “common grace structures” of the nations and societies.
8. The calling and anointing to strategic intercession, especially to provide leadership for such intercession as modeled by a Moses or Rees Howells type. This course is intended to provide practice through mentoring by others in this role so that those called can step into this vital leadership role.
This course will take place over two terms. There will be a combination of reading, online small groups led by mentors, using lessons consisting of videos and accompanying materials, and onsite events at the Community of the Cross in Black Mountain, NC.
Spring Term 2023 April – June
Mentor-led online small groups (April start date will be determined by the small group leader)
Part #1 Foundations for Strategic Intercession and Spiritual Warfare
Onsite at the Community of the Cross: Mountain Top Equipping Camp, May 8-12, 2023
Part #1 Mastering and Deploying the Strategies and Tactics of Strategic Level Intercession. And reviewing the foundational principles of strategic intercession and spiritual warfare.
Fall Term 2023 September – November
Mentor-led online small groups (September start date will be determined by the small group leader)
Part #2 Foundations for Strategic Intercession and Spiritual Warfare
Onsite at the Community of the Cross: Mountain Top Equipping Camp, October 11-15, 2023
Part #2 Mastering and Deploying the Strategies and Tactics of Strategic Level Intercession.
The following areas will be covered by this course
- The terminology for strategic intercession and spiritual warfare
- The believer’s authority for spiritual warfare
- Six paradigms of God’s Sovereign activity
- Prayer Cohorts, the vanguard of strategic intercession
- Satan’s war and master plans
- The strategies and tactics for strategic intercession and spiritual warfare
The Course Format
The foundational materials will be worked through in small groups led by mentors. The strategies and tactics will be taught at the onsite Mountain Top Equipping Camps.
Preliminary Reading for the Course
- Manual Unit #1 Foundations for Strategic Intercession and Spiritual Warfare
- Prayer that Shapes the Future: How to Pray with Power and Authority, by Brad Long and Doug McMurray
- Rees Howells: Intercessor, by Norman Grubb
- Chapter 8 of the Dunamis Project 5 Manual: Equipping for Spiritual Warfare and Kingdom Advancement.
Mentor Led – Online Small Groups
There will be lessons the student will cover on their own and with their small group/cohort. These will be available over the internet.
Each lesson will consist of the following:
- A 20 to 30-minute teaching segment introducing the core concepts taught by experienced and anointed intercessors who have been on the frontlines.
- A 10-minute video segment with study questions and suggestions for application.
- Accompanying each video lesson will be the student workbook which will include the following:
- An expanded outline of the contents of the video teaching with study questions and suggestions for practical application.
- Suggestions for further reading
The Role of the Mentor:
1. To pray for and with the students in their care.
2. To facilitate the cohort group.
3. To make sure that the students understand the essential concepts.
4. To organize the group into different roles needed to function in intercession.
5. To provide feedback to the Leadership Team on students’ questions and points that need to be developed.
6. Mentors and Teaching Faculty will meet as a leadership team during the course.
The purpose of the group meetings
These groups will meet over zoom or, if possible, in person at a frequency determined by the group and mentor. This could be once a week or every other week to give time to digest the materials.
The groups will gather to:
1. To pray for and minister to each other, essentially taking care of each other as a combat unit would.
2. To review together the assigned lessons that the participants would have watched on their own. Alternatively, the small groups could opt to watch the videos together as a group. The Mentor may share their experience to enhance the lesson’s teaching.
3. To review study questions together and to seek to answer questions that the group may have that come from their review of the lessons or their own experience.
4. To practice seeking the guidance of the Holy Spirit together and working as a cohort to take part in any engagements that Jesus may give them as an assignment. This would partly depend on what is happening in God’s Kingdom work and the local and geopolitical situation.
The Onsite Mountain Top Equipping Camp Events
There will be two onsite Mountain Top Equipping Camp events – this is the “on campus” part of the course. (May 8-12, 2023, and October 11-15, 2023 at the Community of the Cross, Black Mountain, NC)
The Purpose of the Onsite Portion is as follows:
1. To expand the cohorts from individual small groups into a fellowship – building the army of intercessions.
2. To provide the context, through Harp and Bowl, the Word and worship, for the work of strategic intercession.
3. The Mountain Top Equipping Camp would be based on case studies of past engagements. Or centered around actual engagements that the Holy Spirit may call us to.
4. The Mountain Top focuses on applying the strategy and tactics.
5. To provide further teaching on foundational concepts that may need further explanation.
6. To offer a “field hospital” providing healing and deliverance ministry for wounded intercessors and spiritual warriors. (This is not for general healing and deliverance ministry – PRMI offers other more suitable venues for this ministry.)
Prerequisites for the Course
1. Have received a call from the Holy Spirit to participate or are exploring receiving a call into this arena of intercession.
2. Preferably to have participated in the PRMI Dunamis Project (#1,2,3,5).
3. The Course Director, Martin Boardman, will consider applications from those who have not been through PRMI training and discern on a case-by-case basis whether the student has adequate, comparable training. He may recommend additional work to prepare for the course and bring the student up to speed on PRMI’s training and approach.
Cost of the Course
PRMI functions on a faith basis, so we do not charge tuition for the course. However, the actual cost of the course, its development, and making this course widely available will be covered by financial gifts received. (In the UK, Canada, and the USA, these may receive a tax exception or gift aid when given through PRMI or the DFC or DFT). If we were to charge the actual cost of this intensive course, it would be at least $3,500 per person. But we believe the Lord wants all He calls to be able to afford to take part. So please give as you are able! Thanks! You may want to ask friends, family, or your church to help support you in taking the class (financially and through prayer).
Invite people to make donations towards the cost of running the course
Participation at the Onsite Event – will involve a teaching room and meals at the Community of the Cross in NC. This is also on a faith basis. So, offerings will be taken to cover the onsite event’s cost, including the Mentors, teachers, and worship leaders coming in. Facilities at the COC are only available for the mentors and faculty, so participants will need to book their accommodations. (PRMI will provide a list of accommodations).)
Introducing the Teaching and Administration Faculty for the Course
Rev. Dr. Zeb Bradford Long (Brad) -Author and Teacher on strategic intercession.
Rev. Martin Boardman – Prayer Mobilizer – Course Director and Facilitator.
The teaching, ministry, and administrative faculty consist of those who have had frontline experience in strategic intercession and spiritual warfare and have been able to systematically reflect upon their experience and to make it transferable to others.
Pauline Eyles – Dunamis Fellowship Britain and Ireland, gifted at teaching and leading in deliverance ministry.
Rev. Gary Hixson – Global Experience in strategic intercession and spiritual warfare and deep inner healing and deliverance.
Barb Koob – Writing Project Manager for the Course Development and Development of the Curriculum.
JuleAnn Martin – The Community of the Cross Prayer Coordinator. Has been on many high-level prayer engagements.
Katie Lynn Arocho – Coordinator for Healing Prayer Ministry at the Community of the Cross
Mentors will be announced once you are accepted into the course and the cohorts have been assigned. Special teams will be brought in for the Mountain Top Equipping events.